Thursday, December 27, 2007

SNACK BOX IS FOUR FUCKING DOLLARS



This is truly a sad day in Harlem history. My longtime favorite eatery, New Caporal, has betrayed the people. The infamous "snack box" is now four dollars.

For those not in the know, a SNACK BOX is a meal consisting of a leg, thigh, wing, and a heaping mound of french fries (or as the natives say, "papa frita"). The snack box was, in effect, the poor man's feast. Caporal is open 24/7, 365. You can't help but do a Spike Lee-type drift toward the damn spot after you get off that 1 train on 157th. They have saved me from many a late-night hangover in my tenure, and I'm grateful. I think their secret is that they've probably never changed the oil in its near 30 years of existence that gives it that aroma, SABOR.

I remember being a broke third grader with a quarter to my name after school. I would gather five of my closest friends, combine those quarters, and purchase a steaming hot snack box for $1.50. ONE DOLLAR, FIFTY CENTS! I don't know if it was a West Indian vs. African American thing, but I always got some of that good thigh meat, whereas my yankee bredren would always opt for the wing. (Trust that now I understand the power of a fried chicken wing). For such prices, this tasty treat earned the pet name "Crack Box".

I sent my lil' cousin to Caporal's with $7 the other day, expecting us both to be sleep within fifteen minutes of devouring our snack box. Instead, she returned with only one box and a pocketful of shame. If I didn't burn so damned much, i might consider a protest.

1 comment:

Admin said...

I'm actually getting tired of chicken... Sometimes I can't stand the sight of it...